Uganda’s top 20 superbrands 2015: MTN Top Telecom brand
Superbrands East Africa, an affiliate of London-based Superbrands UK, has this week announced Uganda’s top 20 superbrands that have joined the league of super brands for 2015/16. And MTN Uganda has by no surprise emerged as the Top Telecom brand in Uganda. Superbrands is the world’s largest independent arbiter of branding. It identifies and pays tribute to exceptional brands by recognising, rewarding and reinforcing leading brands from all over the world.
The research incorporated the views of both an expert council and over 1000 consumers; the latter surveyed in Uganda by TNS RMS, and sought to identify the nation’s strongest brands.
Rwenzori, Sadolin Paints, and MTN Uganda took the first, second and third place respectively, according to the consumer vote results. Ten (10) brands retained their top 20 berths from the last survey, showing the enduring strength of leading brands and the difficulties faced by rivals in trying to overcome the incumbent’s reputational strength. Some of the new entrants are Sadolin Paints (2nd), Fresh Dairy (5th), Mountain Dew (14th), Serena Hotels and Resort (8th), Uganda Waragi (13th), among others.
Those who dropped out of the top 20 are National Insurance Corporation, Bell Lager, Dettol, Bata, Daily Monitor, Shoprite, Warid Telecom, Radio One, Vaseline, and Bidco Uganda.
Mr Jawad Jaffer, the Superbrands East Africa Project Director, noted that more than 400 brands from more than 28 different sectors were considered and as always the East African public had the final say. He also added at the unveiling event at the Serena Kampala Hotel that:
“The results provide a detailed and robust barometer of brand success and performance with the overall and category winners justifiably proud of their performance in this competitive process. It is good to see that at least half of the brands that were among the top 20 remained competitive to again feature in the recent results,”
According to Christine Mueni of TNS RMS, a Superbrand is a brand that represents high quality, reliability and distinction. In addition Superbrands are deemed to have established the finest reputation in their field, they offer customers significant emotional and/or tangible advantages over other brands, which (consciously or sub-consciously) customers want and recognise. Mueni said;
“The leading brands were judged on three core criteria namely; quality, reliability and distinction. In addition to the consumer surveys, three separate surveys, one in each country, surveyed the leading business-business brands. Brands do not pay to enter the survey and all of the key brands regionally are considered in the extensive research process,”
Separate surveys were done in Kenya and Tanzania. The leading brands will be showcased in the next edition of the Superbrands East Africa publication.
The official top 20 Ugandan Consumer Superbrands:
- RWENZORI MINERAL WATER (DRINKS – NON-ALCOHOLIC – GENERAL) – 100.00
- SADOLIN PAINTS (HOUSEHOLD – GENERAL) – 88.02
- MTN (TELECOMMUNICATIONS, INTERNET & BROADBAND) – 86.98
- NAKUMATT (RETAIL – SUPERMARKETS, GROCERS & OTHER RETAILERS) – 84.87
- FRESH DAIRY (DRINKS – NON-ALCOHOLIC – DAIRY DRINKS, MILK & CREAM) – 84.52
- MTN MOBILE MONEY (FINANCIAL – GENERAL) – 84.21
- NTV (MEDIA – TV STATIONS) – 84.21
- SERENA HOTELS AND RESORTS (TRAVEL – HOTELS & RESORTS) – 83.70
- PANADOL (PHARMACEUTICAL) -82.46
- COCA-COLA (DRINKS – NON-ALCOHOLIC – CARBONATED SOFT DRINKS) – 80.51
- MAKERERE UNIVERSITY (EDUCATION PROVIDERS & FACILITIES) – 77.21
- OMO (HOUSEHOLD – CLEANING PRODUCTS) – 75.86
- UGANDA WARAGI (DRINKS – ALCOHOLIC – SPIRITS) – 75.50
- MOUNTAIN DEW (DRINKS – NON-ALCOHOLIC – CARBONATED SOFT DRINKS) – 74.37
- NOKIA (HOUSEHOLD – APPLIANCES & ELECTRONIC GOODS) – 73.10
- BUKEDDE (MEDIA – NEWSPAPERS & MAGAZINES) – 72.18
- TOTAL (OIL & GAS) – 71.96
- NEW VISION (MEDIA – NEWSPAPERS & MAGAZINES) – 71.20
- MUKWANO PREMIUM VEGETABLE COOKING OIL (FOOD – COOKING FATS) – 70.76
- BLUEBAND (FOOD – GENERAL) – 70.40