[blockquote right=”pull-left”] [/blockquote]
The 2015 Seedstars World, the global seed-stage startup competition for emerging markets and fast-growing startup scenes, is returning to Uganda on September 11th. In line with its mission to place the spotlight on entrepreneurs from emerging countries, Seedstars World has expanded its competition to include more than 50 countries for 2015 (up from the 36 countries of the 2014 edition.) Its previous participants have raised over USD 20M collectively, providing employment to +360 employees all around the world.
For the upcoming event, Seedstars World has formed a strategic partnership with Stanbic Bank in Uganda who will act as main partner for the event as well as Google for Entrepreneurs. The partnership will allow the winning team to represent Uganda at the final event in Geneva. Beyond that, Stanbic Bank Uganda will explore potential options for collaborations and partnerships with the participating entrepreneurs. Kevin Wingfield, Head of Personal and Business Banking, Stanbic Bank Uganda said;
[signoff icon=”quote-circled”]”As Stanbic Bank we are committed to supporting and growing Small and Medium size businesses that have great ideas. We are proud to be associated with Seedstars World as it promotes innovation and entrepreneurial thinking that will create employment and power the country going forward.” [/signoff]
Marcello Schermer, Regional Manager for Africa at Seedstars World said:
[signoff icon=”quote-circled”]“Google for Entrepreneurs is a long time supporter of Outbox Hub and in the past year, has significantly contributed to the ecosystem by providing trainings and workshops to local entrepreneurs. Together with Stanbic Bank Uganda, we are excited to provide a number of follow9on benefits to all entrepreneurs going through our program” [/signoff]
These are the Starts up for 2015
- Exact and Clear: An innovative software product which can produce voice output after scanning printed text on objects like
- Yoza: A location based laundry service app that connects people who offer laundry services with people looking to do their dirty
- Commonsense app: An app that challenges the user by asking common sense questions and awarding points for correct answers. The points can be used to win tangible
- Roundbob: Intends to increase travel by Africans through increasing content availability and supporting this by negating the cost
- Krobits: Trendingshow is a mobile platform for individuals to directly connect to their TV shows by providing program lineups of local TV
- Health Portal Uganda: HPU offers specialists and practices the ability to fill their open appointment slots, increasing utilization and revenue
- Tikiti App: An app that brings the convenience of finding, booking and paying for tickets and services on everyone’s smartphone.
- Wizarts Media: PMLive.Today is an online portal that provides radio stations across Uganda especially those in rural parts with a daily news digest.
- Yaakaa Digital Network: A new media platform (social network) for students and trainers in University, tertiary institutions, high schools and more.
- SafeBoda: Provides a safe, secure and convenient motorcycle taxi experience in Africa.
The startups will be judged by a jury consisting of:
- Kevin Wingfield, Head of Personal and Business Banking at Stanbic Bank Uganda
- Richard Zulu, Co-Founder & Lead at Outbox Hub
- Stone Atwine, CEO & Co-Founder at Remit.ug
- Davis Baasha, Director at Finafrica
- Neil Wood, Global Partnerships & Commercialization Strategy Fellow at Grameen Foundation
- Marcello Schermer, Regional Manager for Africa at Seedstars World
The 10 selected startups will be invited to pitch for the opportunity to compete at the final event. The event in Kampala will be hosted at Outbox Hub and will take place on September 11th from 4PM – 9PM. Interested viewers can sign up to attend here.