[/blockquote]At an event held at MTN Towers headlined by MTN executives including the CMO, CEO and Head of Mobile Money (in image above), the company showed off to the press the game of numbers ruling the day to the press. Nine figure sums made up a large chunk of announcements from the yellow telecommunications giant. And their mobile money platform owes the pleasure.
MTN’s marketing team took us through their humble inception in 2009 all the way to them becoming giants to reckon with, within a period of 6 years using mobile money. Reaching out to the un-banked through financial inclusion to all way becoming the biggest financial services provider in the country. A game of numbers it was and big yellow boosts of the following;
- 70% of all remote payments go through MTN mobile money.
- MTN collects an excess of 5.8 billion shillings monthly on behalf of UMEME. A 71. 45% market share with competition at play.
- Big yellow as well collects 2.1 billion shillings monthly for water payments on behalf of National Water & Sewage Corporation.
- Connecting off grid rural communities throughout Uganda using solar with partners like Fenix, Ready pay and Mkopa.
- An increment of 21% in total volume transactions to 363 millions.
- A total value transaction increment of 24% to 16.8 trillion.
- An average mobile money transaction of 1.8 trillion.
- Over 185000 gross additions to the MTN mobile money subscriber base with an agent network of over 53000 as of this writing.
Climaxing the event were a list of partners both from the government and the private sector, making use of MTN’s mobile money platform for transacting business. These included financial institutions, education services providers, utility companies amongst others.