The MTN Innovation Awards 2017 that recognize digital innovation in the country are back. MTN Uganda has today made a call for entries for the MTN Innovation Awards 2017, seeking to recognize both Mobile and Web-based applications developed by Ugandans. There are at least seven (7) categories to pick from. The choice of categories like Finance, Agriculture and Health lays emphasis on MTN Uganda’s commitment to scale sectors critical to the improvement of lives and communities through digital innovations. The awards are in line with MTN Uganda’s mission to make the lives of Ugandans brighter.
Olivier Prentout, the Chief Marketing Officer MTN Uganda said that the awards stressed that recognizing and promoting local innovations is critical to MTN’s vision to lead the delivery of a bold, new digital world for MTN customers and the communities where we operate.
“Technology is becoming an enabler in almost every sector of Uganda’s economy. In health, technology is leading to solutions on prevention. In education, people are coming up with ideas to ease the learning process. In financial services, technology is improving financial inclusion,” he said.
This is the 2nd edition of the MTN Innovation Awards. The first awards were held in 2015, with 8 projects being awarded for their outstanding contribution to society.
“The contribution to society is measured by impact especially in the long-term. Additionally, we are looking at positioning Uganda as having the innovation space and skilled individuals that can compete on the global stage,” Prentout added.
The categories to apply for include: Best Health application, Best Education application, Best Financial Services application, Best SME application, Best Agriculture application, and Best Media and Entertainment application. The entries have to be made online on here.
The entry submissions will close on 6th October 2017. The awards place emphasis on applications that have been in operation since 2014. The MTN Innovation Awards 2017 will also recognize the Outstanding Woman in Innovation, Innovation Achiever of the Year and Most innovative Mobile App. The winners will be recognized at an Awards Gala to be held on November 8th 2017.
MTN Uganda has also increased the prize money from $1000 given to each category winner in 2015 to $3000.
In 2015, the winners included, ClinicMaster, BrainShare, Yo! Payments Gateway, Intelligent Works, Outbox, Fezah, Lyndsay Handler of ReadyPay – Outstanding Woman in Innovation and Solomon King of FundiBots – Innovation achiever of the year.
— MTN Uganda (@mtnug) September 22, 2017
Facts about the awards: Innovations are recognized in the following categories:
- 1. Best Health Application – This award seeks to recognise applications that aim to extend reach, accessibility and efficiency in delivering health services.
- Best Education Application – The award seeks to recognize applications that are transforming the Experience and Reach of education to ordinary Ugandans.
- Best Financial Services Application – This award seeks to recognize applications that are enabling any financial inclusion.
- Best SME Application – This award seeks to recognize applications that aim to address productivity improvement in the SME sector.
- Best Agriculture Application – The award seeks to recognize applications that driving digitization for efficiency and productivity in the agricultural sector.
- Best Media & Entertainment Application – As the world of entertainment becomes more digitized globally, this award recognizes local efforts to adapt to global trends.
- Most Innovative Mobile App: This category will be awarded at the judges’ discretion to mobile applications that innovate, recreate or transform things. The app may or may not be from any of the other categories.
- Outstanding Woman in Innovation: This award will go to that woman who has trail blazed mobile application innovations in Uganda.
- Innovation Achiever of the Year: This is a special award that will go to an individual or private entity that has had a significant impact in defining, enabling and influencing the Innovation eco-system of Uganda through local initiatives and activities.
Please note that applications must have been in existence for four years. The call for submissions is now open and closes on 6th October 2017.